Monday, April 10, 2017

Saturday Challenge- Great Granparents Counting


Your mission this week, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1) Pick one of your sets of great-grandparents - if possible, the one with the most descendants.


I chose my paternal great-grandparents- John [1854-1932] and Maria (Titus) Ward. [1858-1927]

from a family reunion in 1923


2) Create a descendants list for those great-grandparents either by hand or in your software program.

3) Tell us how many descendants, living or dead, are in each generation from those great-grandparents.
4) How many are still living? Of those, how many have you met and exchanged family information with? Are there any that you should make contact with ASAP? Please don't use last names of living people for this - respect their privacy.

I did the first three generations below.

Children: Six. Living 0.
Grandchildren: Eleven. Living 0.
Great-Grandchildren: 26. Living 20.

By the time we’re getting to the great, great, grandchildren, they are so spread out that I’m not sure I could do an accurate count. To the best of my knowledge, all of that generation is living and there are children in the next generation and even a few 4th great-grandchildren that are beginning to be born. I have not been in contact with all of these people. However, I have had contact with just about every branch of this tree at one time or another and keep in contact with many on a somewhat irregular basis.

Each generation spreads out farther and farther and it becomes harder. I realized today that the great-grandchildren numerated above that are descendants of my grandparents (that is their grandchildren only), have a spread of thirty-one years from oldest to the youngest. If I included some of my grandfather’s siblings- he was next to they youngest child- the age spread would be even greater.

1 comment:

Mary Rohrer Dexter said...

It was confusing wasn't it Nancy. I am not sure I got my count totally accurate. But it was an interesting exercise to do this time. Nice job!