Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Saturday Challenge- Other Hobbies


FromRandy Seaver: For this week's mission (should you decide to accept it), I challenge you to:

1)  Tell us about your "other" hobbies or interests outside of genealogy and family history research, writing, speaking, etc.  Be mindful of your family's privacy, though!


2) Write a blog post of your own, respond with a comment to this post, or write a Facebook status post or a Google+ Stream post.


Hmmm, what if I don’t have a life beyond genealogy? Some days it doesn’t seem like it the way things intertwine around each other. Here’s the conversation I had with myself after reading this challenge:

-Travel. However, most of our trips center around genealogy or some aspect of historical encounters. My latest trip was to a genealogy conference in Massachusetts. I don’t have another trip planned at the moment, but the most likely suspects on that would be to a historical society or a cemetery to do research!
-Crafts. I enjoy working on crafts, especially sewing. Many of them are older style items, as in they could be considered historical. Many of my cross-stitch that I have hanging around the house are of historical places that we have visited over the years.  
-Reading. But aren’t most of the books you read either about genealogy, history or some aspect of technology that helps you with this blog?
-Cooking. I enjoy cooking and collecting recipes. Of course, most of my cooking is reminiscent of what my ancestors cooked or regional cooking from areas that we’ve traveled to on genealogy.
-Writing. What do I write about? Almost always it is genealogy, or historical in nature. Even the fictional stories I’ve attempted are based on a family story!
So there you have it. I have hobbies besides genealogy and historical research. However, I am such a nerd about those two areas that everything else manages to revolve around it in some way. Is this good or bad? I don’t know, but I’m enjoying myself!

No comments: