Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Saturday Challenge: Current Bucket List


Randy Seaver’s GeneaMusing last week was, for me, an ongoing question. Here is my answer that I finally got around to writing:

For this week's mission (should you decide to accept it), I challenge you to: Knowing that a "Bucket List" is a wish list of things to do before death: 1) What is on your Genealogy Bucket List? What research locations do you want to visit? Are there genea-people that you want to meet and share with? What do you want to accomplish with your genealogy research? List a minimum of three items - more if you want!



Can I answer, anywhere and everywhere?!

I have many projects I want to work on and as I work on each, I discover more places that I want to explore and see if they have the information to solve this particular puzzle. Some of the places are new to me, but others I have been to once or multiple times before.

Last week I explored two different library’s local history departments. Both places I had been to before to work on other things.

First I visited Seymour Library in Auburn. On the day I visited I was working on two projects. The first was looking for some more information about a barn that burned in 1963. My brother, David, now owns the property and I was looking to determine when the fire was and what caused it. We had been surmising that it might have been a lightning strike as there are many lightning rods on the current barn. However, I found in an article that it was a fault in electrical fencing that started it. Also, one of the neighbors had thought it was in the 70s rather than fall of 1963 that I discovered.

The second project was research on the blog post I made last week of The Case of Lead Poisoning. I haven’t found any new information. But I did discover that the notation was not on the actual cemetery listing, but rather on cards in the local historian’s office that were used to create that list. Another place to visit!

In the near future, I would like to check out some locations in Cortland County. There I’d like to check probate records and see if there is any more information on the family in the historical society’s holdings. If what I suspect is true, I can trace my Ingalls family back at least one more generation, possibly more and find that they were in Cortland before Jefferson County. This is after doing some research last week at Flower Library in Watertown on the family.

I could easily create a list of many repositories near me that I would like to visit. Some are for the first time, while others are repeats. I have many ancestors as well as interesting collateral lines that lived and died in this area. With every visit, I tend to find a new tidbit or two about their lives that I hadn’t found before.

My husband and I also postponed two research trips this summer. These will be made soon. We want to go to Westchester County in downstate NY to research some of his family. Along with that, we may sneak in a little research in the Hudson Valley or western Connecticut where we both have families. Also, we’d like to get back to the Allen County Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana. What would I research there? They have some information on New York State areas. However, the areas that are goldmines for me are books and records on many different mid-west areas covering multiple states. Obviously, I need to do an overall research plan of priority areas and questions to work on there!

My husband jokes that I have ancestors, either direct or collateral, in every county of New York State. I’m not sure, but there may be a county or two missing off that list. However, if you put me in any repository in this area with my computer database, I probably can find somebody to research and so will happily sit there searching! Of course, that is not mentioning the cemeteries, or people, or…

No comments: