Monday, April 9, 2018


Still catching up on some of Randy Seaver's Saturday Night Fun Challenges from GeneaMusings: 
 
1)    There has been some posts on Facebook to tell one thing that you've done in your life that your Facebook friends have never done.

2)  For this SNGF, write about something that you have done in your life that your friends have not done, as far as you know.

The store where it happened
Has anyone heard of Tiny Tim? He was a pop singer and ukulele player back in the 50s and 60s whose biggest hit was probably “Tip Toe Through The Tulips.” I’d never heard of him either. Not until one summer afternoon back in the mid-80s. That is the day I did something that I’m sure none of my friends have ever done. I sold Tiny Tim a soda.

It was just another day in the convenience store that I worked in much like many others. I can’t even remember what year it was. I worked there part-time through my junior and senior years of high school and two years of community college; and full-time for two years after that. There had been advertisements around for a couple weeks prior to that for a circus that would be coming to Auburn and performing at Emerson Park. Our store was just across the outlet from the park and the entrance was down the street a short distance.

Trucks began coming north on Route 38 and as they came around the traffic circle, would pull off and into our parking lot. The trucks were painted to advertise the circus and were hauling animals and equipment from its last appearance to the next one at Emerson Park. A man got out of the first truck after it stopped at the gas pumps and came in the store wanting to know if he could fill all his trucks and pay for the fuel as a total at the end. As we weren’t busy, that was fine with us.

Near the end of the vehicles fueling up were a few pickups and cars. A man with long curly hair got out of one of these cars and came in and bought a soda. I thought nothing of it until after he left; the manager said to me, “That’s Tiny Tim, the entertainer.” I have to admit; I still didn’t know who he was then as his fame had slid greatly since his brief popularity twenty or so years before. 

No comments: