Friday, November 1, 2019

Saturday Fun Challenge: An Ancestral Home to Visit

From Randy Seaver's GeneaMusing's Saturday night challenges:

1)  Tell us which ancestral home (an actual building, a village, a town, even a country) you would most like to visit.   Which ancestors lived there, and for how long? 


This is a tough one as there are so many different ones and I would like to visit them all. All of them, even those of my grandparents. Those are one that I visited often as a child and one that I lived in as my parents owned it after my grandparents. I would love to be able to walk through those houses again just as they were when I was a child.

However, I know one ancestral home area that I do not want to visit. At least, next year I do not want to be anywhere near there. Why? Well, because a lot of people want to visit there next year.

My 10th great-grandfather and his wife along with her parents arrived in this country in the year 1620. A young man, John Howland, a teenage girl, Elizabeth Tilley, that would later become his wife, her parents, John Tilley and Joan (Hurst) Tilley are the people. They all landed in Massachusetts from a ship whose name is very familiar— The Mayflower. Next year Plymouth will be celebrating their 400th anniversary of existence.

Although there will be fabulous events taking place and it is a historic anniversary of immense proportions, I do not want to be there. I don’t like crowds and it will definitely be crowded. I am just glad that I have been there twice before.

I was lucky enough to visit there once when I was a teenager. On an extended camping trip throughout New England, my parents and I stopped in Plymouth and saw the main sites.

A few years ago, as an adult, my husband and I visited there for the day. Once again, I got to see the main sites, the famous rock, the Mayflower replica and the burial grounds among others. This trip, I also got to go to Plimouth Plantation and see the recreated original settlement and see how they would have lived upon first arriving here.

Perhaps sometime later, after things have calmed down and there aren’t huge crowds at everything, I’ll go back again.

No comments: