Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Saturday Night Challenge- Thanksgiving Memory


From Randy Seaver's GeneaMusings: Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!):

1) We just celebrated Thanksgiving in the USA, and many of us have celebrated it every year for decades.  For this SNGF, please share a favorite Thanksgiving memory - it can be sentimental, humorous, reflective, etc.



A favorite Thanksgiving memory of mine is one that occurred in February. Yes, February.

It started one fall when I was sick with many autoimmune problems. I was on a strict diet during that time due to complications. How strict you might ask? Well, I could eat anything I wanted to in moderation—as long as it was liquid. Yes, a liquids only diet.

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite, if not my favorite holiday of the year. I look forward to that turkey dinner with all the trimmings. These are some of my favorite foods and I don’t get to eat them very often. So, you can imagine how I felt about missing out on Thanksgiving dinner.

Even though Mom was never a fan of turkey, she understood how I felt. Her and I hatched a plan. We bought a turkey breast as usual along with cranberries. These went into the freezer and there they stayed.

In February after I had been able to have surgery to correct the complications and was recovered enough to eat a large meal, we defrosted that turkey. On a Thursday evening in early February, Mom, my brother, my sister-in-law and I gathered and had my Thanksgiving Dinner that I had missed at the traditional time. As I think back on that difficult season, I have memories of that evening and how my family were willing to help out to make things better for me, not only that night, but throughout my struggles with chronic disease.   

No comments: