Monday, May 16, 2016

Other Hobbies- Saturday Challenge.


From Randy Seaver: For this week's mission (should you decide to accept it), I challenge you to:

1)  Tell us about your "other" hobbies or interests outside of genealogy and family history research, writing, speaking, etc.  Be mindful of your family's privacy, though!

2) Write a blog post of your own, respond with a comment to this post, or write a Facebook status post or a Google+ Stream post.

Hmmm, what if I don’t have a life beyond genealogy? Some days it doesn’t seem like it the way things intertwine around each other. Here’s the conversation I had with myself after reading this challenge:
 
View from NYS Library
-Travel. However, most of our trips center around genealogy or some aspect of historical encounters. My latest trip was to a genealogy meeting and the New York State Library and Archives. The next trip will be seeing some of the countryside though. Yeah, some of the countryside as you can see from the interstate, as we don’t have much time before we need to be in Alabama to, you guessed it IGHR, a genealogy institute.

-Crafts. I enjoy working on crafts, especially sewing. I’m working on a cross-stitch project right now. The subject? Oh, well, it’s historic buildings from Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts that we visited a couple years ago. That’s not research, so the historical doesn’t count right? I have a couple sewing projects that I need to get to soon! What are they? Well, one’s an organizer for the car that will help us on our trip to Alabama… and well, the other, is um a cover for a medal for the Sons of the American Revolution so they can do an unveiling.
Drayton Hall, a previous cross-stitch project


-Reading. But aren’t most of the books you read either about genealogy, history or some aspect of technology that helps you with this blog?

-Cooking. I enjoy cooking and collecting recipes. Of course, most of my cooking is reminiscent of what my ancestors cooked or regional cooking from areas that we’ve traveled to on genealogy.

So there you have it. I have hobbies besides genealogy and historical research. However, I am such a nerd about those two areas that everything else manages to revolve around it in some way. Is this good or bad? I don’t know, but I’m enjoying myself!

No comments: