Sunday, April 10, 2016

Saturday Challenge of Names Part 2


This week's challenge from Randy Seaver's Genea-musings:

1)    My friend and colleague Linda Stufflebean posted Just For Fun – 4 X 6 = 24 FAMILY TREE QUESTIONS on her blog last week, and I thought we could answer half of the questions last week and half this week.

2)  Here are the last three questions:


*  
Name four places on my ancestral home bucket list I’d like to visit:
1.     Stephentown, Rensselaer Co, New York
a.     I’ve been there before, but have more research I’d like to do on Reuben Tifft an his parents, Robert and Betsy.
I believe this is the burial spot of Robert Tifft

2.     Jamestown, Steuben Co, Indiana.
a.     I’m cheating a bit on this one as it’s a collateral line. However, I’m hoping by learning more about Dennis K. Wooster and his wife, Sarah Hammond, to figure out some things about his parents Leverett and Jerusha who are direct ancestors.
Dennis and Sarah's graves

3.     Afton, Union Co, Iowa.
a.     Dennis’ brother Barclay (my GG-Grandfather) and many in his family lived here.
4.     Sheldon, O’Brien Co, Iowa
a.     Barclay’s grandson, Marion- known to me simply as “Grandpa” and his brother, Dana were both born in this community.
 
*  What are the four most unusual surnames in your family tree?
This one is hard as many of my lines are rather common English names, so don’t seem all that unusual. However, three just by the sounds of the name and the last one, well…
1.     Chatfield
2.     DuColon
3.     Basford
4.     Ingalls
a.     Many probably think of Laura Ingalls Wilder. As far as I can find, we are not related. There is a 7th cousin 4 times removed that shows up in the collateral lines—her husband Almanzo Wilder! That makes it seem unusual to me that it’s not the obvious connection.

Alice & Charles Ingalls, my g-grandfather and his second wife

*     Which four brick walls would you most like to smash through?
1.     When did Leverett Wooster above die and is he buried with Jerusha?
2.     What is Jerusha’s maiden name?
3.     When did Reuben Tifft die and where is he buried?
4.     Proof of  Leverett’s parents. (I think I have this one almost!)

No comments: