Sunday, April 3, 2016

Saturday Challenge of Names


On Sunday evening, I am getting to the SaturdayChallenge.

1) My friend and colleague Linda Stufflebean posted JUST FOR FUN – 4 X 6 = 24 FAMILY TREE QUESTIONS on her blog this week, and I thought we could answer half of the questions this week and half next week.

2)  Here are the first three questions:


*  What four places did my ancestors live that are geographically the farthest from where I live today?

*  What are the four most unusual given names in my family tree?

*  What are the four most common given names in my family tree?

Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Maine

a) The locations- these would be origins of some of the major lines, since as far as I know, all came from their places of origins to somewhere in what is now the United States. None of the direct lines ventured to other continents in between.
-Wooster from Chedingham, Buckinghamshire, England
-Brown from Ulster in the North of Ireland, said to be Scotch Irish in older genealogies.
-Duff from Island McGee in county Antrim, Ireland.
-Du Colon is rumored to be from near Colon, France. Nobody yet knows for sure where Dr Claudius Du Colon (1716-1801) was born or the route he took to the US.

b) There are not a lot of unusual names in the family tree, so I cheated and used 2 collateral and 2 direct lines. Some of these names combined with their surnames are just too good to miss!
-Preserved Fish (several on 4th and 3rd cousin lines) one is the son of Thomas Fish and Grizzel Strange. Now, that’s a combination!
-Titus Titus (4C5R) son of John Titus and  Elizabeth Hungerford. What were they thinking? It is a family name within both lines, but…
-Mindwell Chatfield (5th Great grandmother) wife of Moses Wooster. Daughter of Ebenezer Chatfield and Abigail Prindle.  A virtue name from the Puritans.
-Quartis Brown (3rd Great grandfather) husband of Julia Gibbs. Son of Robert Brown & Elizabeth Campbell. I’ve never seen Quartis otherwise.

A card from Quartis Brown's pension application


c) The most common names. I’m not sure how to determine this with my database, so I estimated it from the names I come across most often. Including siblings of my direct ancestors, George and Elizabeth would be on the list as well. I think they are pretty standard names for Protestant English and Irish lines.
-William
-John
-Mary/Maria
-Ann

No comments: